Greater St. Louis Book Fair raises funds to promote education and literacy for underserved individuals in the St. Louis metropolitan area.
Nursery Foundation of St. Louis
Since its inception, proceeds raised by the Greater St. Louis Book Fair have helped support the Nursery Foundation of St. Louis, a multi-cultural learning center in the city of St. Louis.
|Photo Courtesy of Nursery Foundation of St. Louis|
Founded in 1947 by Mrs. Frances "Queenie" Schiele, the Nursery Foundation's mission is to provide quality, developmentally appropriate childcare and education to preschool children ages 12 months through five years regardless of their families' ability to pay. It was the first program of its kind in the state of Missouri.
The Nursery Foundation offers comprehensive, high quality early childhood programs in a nurturing environment led by trained and committed staff dedicated to helping each child reach their maximum developmental potential, regardless of what their developmental level may be. Recognizing the importance of family in each child's development, the Nursery Foundation also provides family support programs.
|Photo Courtesy of ACCESS Academies|
Greater St. Louis Book Fair often issues grants to assist innovative education and literacy programs with operational expenses, student aid, and other financial needs. Funding helps these organizations maintain and expand their services to underserved children and adults, making a positive difference throughout the St. Louis community.
Previous grant recipients include...
- ACCESS Academies Reading Program
- Center for Hearing and Speech - Speech and Language for Low-Income Children
- Delta Gamma Center for Children with Visual Impairments - Story Box and Twin Vision Books
- First Book - St. Louis
- Lemay Child and Family Center - Loving Literacy
- Lutheran Social Services of Illinois - Storybook Project
- Ready Readers - Books for Low-Income Preschoolers
- South Side Day Nursery - Teacher Training Program
- St. Louis Arc - Next Chapter Book Clubs
- St. Louis Community College - Bridging the Gap
- The Little Bit Foundation - Books and Buddies; Book Fair
- Webster University - Student Literacy Corps